Moth Dal is commonly called mat bean, moth bean, matki, Turkish gram or dew bean. It is protein-rich dal and is commonly consumed in India.
Health Benefits of Moth Beans
- Strong bones
Moth beans contain calcium which is the mineral vital for maintaining stronger bones and prevent the risk of osteoporosis. It also contains phosphorus which helps to strengthen bones according to experts.
- Enhance immune system
Moth beans are loaded with remarkable nutrients. So its consumption defends the body against bacteria, fungi and viruses. The presence of zinc in Moth beans strengthens immune system which helps to prevent various sorts of health problems.
- Lowers stress
Zinc acts as antioxidant which helps to control oxidative stress. It means daily intake of moth beans is effective for those people having busy lives. An intake of moth beans and other food containing zinc helps to lower the impact of stress in the body.
- Repairment of Muscles
Like other pulses, moth beans are a great source of protein which is essential to build as well as repair muscles. It is a great source of protein for vegetarians who have to obtain protein from food products.
- Assist to reduce weight
With high presence of protein, Moth beans are useful for those who are trying to lose weight. It increases muscle mass that causes burning of calories. Protein is difficult to digest and it also accelerates person’s metabolic rate.
- Promote energy levels
Moth beans have vitamin B which is essential to convert food into fuel. Doubtless, add it to the diet pulses if one has to perform strenuous daily activities. Moth beans have zinc which provides stress-reducing properties.
- Promote bowel movement
Moth beans prevent one from constipation as it contains fiber. It promotes regularity and eradicate toxins present in gut. After all moth beans are loaded with fiber which helps to reduce the chances of high blood pressure, heart disease and high cholesterol.
Moth Bean Recipe
- 1 cup of Moth beans (Soaked in water)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1tsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Onions (Finely chopped)
- 1 Green chillies (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds powder
- 100 g of tomatoes (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Chopped Coriander Leaves to garnish
- Salt for taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add green chillies, ginger garlic paste and fry it for few seconds.
- Add onions and sauté until it becomes lightly browned. Add cumin, turmeric and red chilli powder. Combine well.
- Add garam masala, salt, and tomatoes. Fry until the oil separates.
- Drain Moth beans and add it to this paste. Add water covering this mixture and combine well. Boil and cook for 20 minutes by covering or until the Moth Beans are cooked completely.
- Garnish with one tsp ghee and coriander leaves. Serve it hot.
- The consumption of seeds helps to treat fever.
- Apply the poultice made from powder as abscesses.
- It lowers the chances of constipation and stress.
- Moth beans promote blood circulation and assist in managing weight.
- It also assists in growth and development of the body.
- It lowers the chances of heart problems.